Florida! The land of vacation destinations! Going on vacation is a great way to relax and take your mind off the daily grind. Don’t let the excitement of an upcoming trip prevent you from securing your home against burglars. Consider the following tips:
- Make sure all outdoor lighting works properly. Replace any batteries or bulbs if needed.
- Have a friend, family member or neighbor check on the house often and collect mail. Also consider having someone mow your lawn, if necessary.
- Place automatic timers on your lights and set them for different times in different rooms. This will give the impression that you are home and doing things in those rooms. Also consider setting a radio to a timer so that thieves are deterred by voices in the home.
- Do not leave your valuables such as jewelry, art work or electronics sitting out in plain view. Hide these items in inconspicuous places such as old laundry detergent boxes.
- Take a photo inventory of each room of the house before you leave in case there is a loss.
- Try not to be too specific when posting about your upcoming trip on social media sites. Exact details will give criminals plenty of information about the perfect time to break in. Resist the urge to “check in” to your vacation destination. Nothing says your not home like a check in from miles away. (This is also a good tip for anytime you are out of the house.)
As always, check to make sure your homeowners insurance coverage is up-to-date before the trip. Contact you W3 advisor if you have any questions about your homeowners insurance.